Saturday, April 27, 2013

The mistake of overselling

Would you like fries to go with that? Would you like to up-size your meal? Those are familiar questions to try and oversell you a meal at McDonald's. Sometimes overselling can be a mistake, as the following shows.

My wife and I went shopping for a watch for our daughter while we were in Miami. After picking out one, we proceeded to the payment counter. The cashier, with good intentions no doubt, asked if we would like to also buy three batteries at a special price of $10. My, was that her biggest mistake of the day! Immediately my mind sobered up. I asked, "How often do I need to change the batteries?" An uncomfortable moment followed. I quickly realized that I didn't want the watch after all. A watch is not something my daughter is going to wear all the time. If she has to change the battery every other time she wears it, it is going to be very troublesome. Needless to day, I didn't buy the watch. I beat a hasty retreat while trying to be as gracious as possible. We got out of the place as quickly as we could. I hope the watch seller realizes that trying to sell their customer batteries when they buy a watch is a big no no. Can you imagine buying a parachute that comes with a special on parachute-repair-kit?

No comments: