Friday, June 19, 2009

Plenty of words; little communication

When I was working in an office, I used to get up to a hundred emails a day. Many of them, however, were not written by the sender directly to me. They were either cc-ed to me, or they were written to a group of people which included me. Now that I am not working, I still get a number of emails a day, although much less. But something is missing though. As it was during my working days, there are lots of information zipping around in my cyberworld but little communication from sender to me. Most of the emails were forwarded jokes or forwarded news clips.

The email has made it much easier, much cheaper, and much faster for people to write to one another. Yet people still keep pretty much to themselves. They prefer to forward another person's writings than to sit down and write even just a short paragraph. Writing is a skill like any other creative art. You write to express yourself. You can bring joy to dear ones you haven't seen for a long time. Unfortunately, the age of emails has not succeeded in bring people any closer together. Very few people actually write, as in the old fashioned sense of the word. Just think: how many of your incoming emails are actually a real letter written by someone as if conversing with you? That's how real letter used to be written in the pen and paper days.

No comments: