Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Would you like a rotten apple?

A week ago I bought some Fuji apples from a farm in Handorf, near Adelaide. I was surprised when my daughter told me this morning that half the apples are now rotten. That's good, I thought. Here's my story.

My father was a fruit seller in my childhood days. Imported fruits like apples, pears and oranges used to go rotten a few days after they were delivered from the supplier's cold room. A few years ago I began to notice that I seldom see rotten fruits at the fruit shops anymore. One day I kept some leftover Fuji apples at room temperature for months and I finally threw them away - wrinkled but not rotten. I had the same experience with green apples. I am convinced that some preservatives are used to prevent apple from becoming rotten. When I saw the rotten apples this morning, I was happy to know that it is still possible to buy "rotten-able" apples. They were delicious too.

No comments: