Thursday, July 2, 2009

Oysters

I just got back from Tasmania. Our friend has a riverside house on the Tamar River. We spent two nights there. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. In this blog I just want to talk about oysters. This property has a long frontage on the estuary. As you can see from the pictures below, when the tide goes down you can see lots of rocks. The oysters cling to the rocks. You can pick them off the riverbed when the tide goes down as the really nice ones are submerged most of the time. The oysters are nice and fat; much nicer than the ones you usually find at the market. I am sure there are few places left in the world where you can pick fresh seafood as you please. Most places will be over-harvested in no time.

I can imagine that in the ancient days when people hunted or fished for food, life must have been much more pleasant then. People nowadays have to pay lots of money for the privilege to hunt. We have to take precious time off to go somewhere for a fishing holiday. Can you imagine how blissful life must have been when people could just pick from the trees, or catch something from the ocean when they wanted to eat? This short holiday in Tasmania gave me a taste of what that life was like. The oysters were simply everywhere; I just had to reach down and pick them up. What a life!

No comments: