Thursday, November 5, 2009

He and She

Of all the surnames I have seen or heard, I probably encountered the most interesting ones today. A mother and her daughter came into the post office to pick up registered letters for her family. Her surname was "She" and her husband's was "He". They are Chinese, by the way. She told me how she often introduces herself: "Hi, I am She and my husband is He." It just sounds like a joke, doesn't it? Perhaps it would be even funnier if she is "He" and he is "She".

The couple have two daughters and no son. So the daughters are called "He", after the father. That doesn't sound quite right, does it? Perhaps they should consider themselves lucky because their male cousins in the maternal line will have the surname of "She". He is lucky and She is not.

No comments: