Wednesday, June 4, 2008

How to be totally mobile

Sometimes a system crash can be a good thing. About a week or two ago my system crashed after I tried to install a file conversion software (nrg-to-iso). Somehow I couldn't boot up again except with a boot CD. I did not lose any data but I faced the uninspiring task of re-installing all my software and settings again. That's when I decided to switch from Outlook to reading my emails directly from the internet, which started a series of changes that has a happy ending, Read on.....

I ended up installing iGoogle, and some other iGoogle applets - calendar, weather, news, photo, etc. Next, I also switched my browser from IE to Mozilla, and discovered a neat little applet (Foxmarks) that allows me to sync my bookmarks automatically between different computers. As a result, I can move between different computers in my house, see the same screen that displays my gmail, my schedules, and my bookmarks - all perfectly synchronized. I can access my iGoogle anywhere in the world. I feel that I am now truly mobile, and have no dependency on any one computer!

....still feeling very excited about iGoogle, which I know is not a new thing, but it is new "toy" for me.....

No comments: