Friday, January 28, 2011

All things to all people...

1 Corinthians 9:20-22 says:
"To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some."

Very often in our lives we behave differently with different people. The Apostle Paul does it for the sake of the gospel, while we may do so for varied reasons. This is not hypocrisy but a necessity. Every day we interact with all sorts of people. Everyone is different. If we want everyone to act the same way to suit our temperament, very soon we will find that we have no friends left.

It is the same with children. As our children grow up, they develop their own unique personality. We just have to learn to adapt to each child's character. That is how we can cherish each one for whom he or she is.

I realize that when I go out with friends I have to adapt to each one's individual character. There is a lot of give and take. Some friends want to dominate all chitchats. Some like to talk about their own interests, often oblivious to whether anyone is listening at all. Some are just listeners. I realize that the best way to be at peace with others is to be "all things to all people."

No comments: